I usually hit the delete button, but this press release about household damaged caused by pets caught my eye. It’s interesting and amusing enough where I said to myself, “I’ll bite.” A good read and somewhat hard to take seriously unless your puppy just pooed on the carpet. It’s probably all true and just offbeat enough.
We may be a nation of animal lovers, however a new survey by SquareTrade, a top rated warranty provider has today revealed the bizarre and amusing pet perils posed to electronic devices which have cost Americans $3 Billion and damaged more than 8 million devices.
The press release and infographic below give gives details of the top dog disasters and cat catastrophes which include:
- · Chewing: Two-thirds of the accidents are caused by the pet putting the item in their mouth.
- · Causing owner to drop: 21% of accidents happened while the owner was using the device.
- · Vomiting / peeing: About 1 in 6 cat or dog owners say that one of their pets has thrown up on or gone to the bathroom on one of their electronics.
- · Two-thirds of the accidents happened while a pet was unsupervised.
We also have veterinary behavioral specialist Arden Moore on hand to discuss some of pet and owner traits that contribute to accidents.
** Here are The Danger Signs: **
1) Does your pet have anger management issues? 17% of pet owners believe that their pets deliberately cause device damage.
2) Does your pet spend too much time in front of his food bowl? An overweight animal is 72% more likely to cause an accident.
3) Does your pet like to snuggle in your lap? You’re 4 times more likely to have pet-related device damage.
4) They may be man’s best friend, but dogs are twice as likely as cats to cause accidents or damage.
5) Are males from Mars? Male pets are 50% more likely to cause damage than female pets.
I’m sure this light hearted subject will resonate with your audience, many of whom will be able to relate with first hand experiences. In addition to Arden, we could also put you in touch actual pet owners and dogs like Jessie (pic below) who has a taste for electric cables or Oisin, a Wolfhound puppy who has so far chewed through a Kindle, 2 mobile phones, a digital camera and a camcorder. His latest exploits are also pictured below.
I’d love to get your feedback and can be reached at 646-790-4751.
Ian Twinn, Managing Director
FRANK PR USA
16 West 22nd Street, Floor 12, New York, NY 10010
For Immediate Release
Dog Disasters, Cat Catastrophes and Animal Accidents
Expose Hidden Cost of Pet Ownership
SquareTrade Study Shows Pets Cost Owners More Than $3 Billion in Damaged Devices Every Year – Overweight, Overprotective and Coddled Pets Most Dangerous
SAN FRANCISCO, CA – June 27, 2013 – SquareTrade®, the #1rated protection plan trusted by millions of happy customers, today revealed new research about Americans and their pets. The study shows that American pets have bitten, chewed, licked, drooled upon, and otherwise damaged more than eight million devices, which adds up to more than $3B in repair and replacement costs. The most commonly damaged device is the smartphone, which accounts for one third of all devices damaged. The study also found that 3 out of 4 devices damaged were not covered by insurance or a protection plan.
“After seeing so many claims come in that involved pets, we decided to look into the data and see just how big a problem this was. And the results were pretty astounding,” said Ty Shay, CMO at SquareTrade. “Using an $800 smartphone as a chew toy is a pricey slipup, not to mention it’s the device most of us can’t live without.”
The types of accidents caused by our four legged friends are as diverse as the breeds we collectively love. While ultimately forgiven, the top animal accidents are:
– Chewing: Two-thirds of the accidents are caused by the pet putting the item in their mouth
– Causing owner to drop: 21% of accidents happened while the owner was using the device.
– Vomiting / peeing: About 1 in 6 cat or dog owners say that one of their pets has thrown up on or gone to the bathroom on one of their electronics
Two-thirds of the accidents happened while a pet was unsupervised
Animal accidents are not just due to mischief or unruly behavior. The SquareTrade research investigated what pets are most risky and what human behavior increases the rate of accidental damage.
Are you at higher risk than other pet owners?
- · Male pets: Male pets are 50% more likely than female pets to damage your devices.
- · Peeved pets: 17% of pet owners believe that their pet damaged the device because it was angry with them.
- · Overweight pets: 72% more likely to have a pet-related accident
- · Overprotective pets: 2x more likely to have a pet-related accident
The survey also found that if you let your pets sleep in the bed with you or ride in your lap while driving, you are 2-3x more likely to have a pet-related accident.
Today, about half the nation’s households include a dog or a cat, and 15% of Americans will buy a costume for their pet – to the tune of $370M. But even more shocking is the toll our animals take on our electronics budget.
To improve pet owners device protection, SquareTrade offers the following tips for an accident free household:
1. Give your pets the attention, training and exercise they need so they have less interest in your gadgets
2. Leave your devices high up and out of reach of curious dogs and cats
3. Never charge devices at floor level or with exposed power cords
4. Don’t leave your device next to liquids of any sort
5. Always use a protective case
SquareTrade is the #1 rated protection plan trusted by millions of happy customers for its fast and exceptional service. SquareTrade protects mobile devices, laptops and tablets, and other consumer electronics and appliances from malfunctions, accidental damage and life’s frequent mishaps. Unlike old-fashioned warranties, SquareTrade is designed for today’s consumer and uses innovative technology to deliver a zero hassle claims process. SquareTrade has more than 200,000 fans on Facebook, consistently wins industry awards and receives thousands of 5-star reviews for its customer service. Top retailers around the world offer SquareTrade, achieving a 200% increase in sales on average and happier customers. SquareTrade’s rapid transformation of the warranty industry attracted one of the largest private capital raises in 2012, with a $238 million round led by Bain Capital and Bain Capital Ventures. Headquartered in San Francisco and London, SquareTrade is privately held. For more information, go to www.squaretrade.com.
Follow John Dodge on Twitter.